As you can see this is not a chinese steamed yam cake. It is a layered sponge cake filled with yam. I found this recipe from Carol's book and her blogs and she made this into a swiss roll instead.
I added some yam puree into this sponge cake and as a result the cake is soft and moist and it gives a light aroma after baking.
If you can read chinese, you can also refer to Carol's blogs for her recipe.
My yam cake recipe:
Yam filling ingredient:
- 300g yam steamed and puree
- 40g fine sugar
- 15g butter
- 50g fresh cream(milk)
1) Peel and cut yam into smaller pieces, place it into the steamer and steam yam till cooked and puree it.
2) Add in the sugar, butter and cream or milk. Mix well.
Yam sponge cake ingredient:
- 5 yolks
- 30g fine suger
- 40g olive oil or vegetable oil
- 100g yam steamed and puree
- a pinch of salt
- 90g cake flour
- 25g milk
- 5 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar
- 60g fine sugar
- 1) Beat egg yolks and sugar till creamy and sugar dissolved.
- 2) Mix in the olive oil, yam puree and salt , mix well.
- 3) Add in and mix well the half portion of the sieved flour first, then follow by a half portion of the milk to mixture.
- 4) Add in and mix well the last portion of the flour and milk to the mixture. Set aside.
- 5) Whisk egg whites till foamy first, then add in cream of tarter and fine sugar and continue whisking until soft firm peak.
- 6) Fold in 1/4 of the egg white mixture to the yolk mixture first, folding it till well combine. Mix and fold the rest of the yolk mixture to the egg white mixture until well combine. Do not over mixing the batter.
- 7) Pour the batter on to a 43x30 cm baking tray lined with baking paper.
- 8) Bake at preheated oven at 170°C for 12-15mins.
- 9) Removed the cake from the tray immediately when it is out of the oven, place it on the cooling rack. Removed paper at the side of the cake so as to avoid drying out the cake.
To assemble cake:
- 1) When the cake is cooled cut it into equal parts, top it with the yam filling.
- 2) Place the 2nd layer sponge cake on the filling, then top it with the filling again.
- 3) Place the last piece of cake with the baked side downward, please refer to my photo below.
- 4) Final decoration, I covered the whole cake with some whipped cream.