Friday, November 5, 2010
Red Bean Chinese Yam Tangzhong Bun （山药红豆汤种面包）
The chinese yam(RhizomaDioscoreae 山药) is sweet in flavour, neutral in nature, and acts on the lung, spleen and kidney channels. It can be used in compatibitity with other herbs to treat deficiency of the lung, lingering cough, asthma, deficiency of the spleen, anorexia, loose stool, deficiency of the kidney, spermatorrhea, frequent micturition and other syndromes.
Effects: Invigorating Qi, nourishing Yin controlling spermatorrhea and reducing urination.
115g chinese yam(grated)(山药泥)
45g bread flour
Mix chinese yam(山药泥), flour and water till it is smooth in a small saucepan.
Cook over medium heat and stirring contantly with a hand whisk to prevent it from burning. You will see lots of small bubbles forming on top. Keep stirring and when the bubbles disappeared, you will see trace in the mixture for every stir you make with the hand whisk. Stop at this stage and you will have the 65C Tangzhong. Pour the hot Tangzhong into a bowl and cover it with a cling wrap toughing the surface of the mixture, to prevent a film forming on the Tangzhong. Leave to cool before using it.
150g wholemeal flour
100g water or milk
Mix wholemeal flour and water or milk together while waiting for the tangzhong to cool.
Main Dough ingredients:
380g bread flour
30g brown sugar
1 tsp salt
6g instant yeast
1 whole egg
300g homemade red bean paste(I made 10 red bean buns and 6 plain buns)
Divide the red bean paste into 10 portions and roll to a small ball.
A little flax seed or black sesame seeds
1. Mix ingredients(A), (B)and (C) except butter, flaxseeds and filling to form a dough.
Add in butter and knead till dough is smooth and pliable.
2. First, prove dough for 45-60 minutes.
3. Punch down dough and divide into 16 pieces of about 60g each. Roll them into round balls .
4. Rest the dough for 10-15 minutes, flatten the dough and put in the filling and shaping each into a nice and smooth round ball. Using a rolling pin lightly roll the bun and flatten it a little like a pancake.
5. Prove the shaped bread for 45-60mins.
6. Apply egg wash to the shaped bread and top it with some flaxseeds or sesame seeds. Apply a little egg wash again.
7.Bake at 190c - 200c for 15-17 minutes or till golden brown.