Yes! You are right this was my birthday cake and this was really a ridiculous chocolate cake; it was full of chocolate and you will die for it if you love chocolate.
I didn't mention to you that we love chocolate. I usually make chocolate cake for them on their birthdays and this time although is my birthday, my son requested for a chocolate cake. So, we came to know about Crumb Boss and her special heavenly cake, which she calls the 'Chocolate Tower of Death Cake'. I didn't want to use the same name which I find unlucky and changed to the 'Tower of Chocolate Cake'.
I didn't follow all her recipe and made some changes to it, but if you like to know more about Crumb Boss you can refer to her blogs.
Tower of chocolate cake recipe:
For the ingredients
You will need:
- Chocolate cake
- Chocolate ganache
- Cream cheese icing
- Salted caramel butter cream
For cake ingredients:
- 11/2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 227g butter
- 300g fine sugar
- 6 eggs about 50g each
- 170g buttermilk( I made the buttermilk myself by using 170g milk with 1Tbsp of lemon juice)
- 1tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 170°C, measure all the ingredients and sift all the dry ingredients together, get 2 round 8 inches baking pans and lined them with baking paper.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy, then add eggs one at a time.
- Add egg gradually, beating thoroughly after each addition. In between mixing, add some flour mixture to combine if the mixture started to curb.
- At low speed add in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Stir until just combined and the mixture is smooth. Pour mixture into the prepared pans and bake at 170°C for about 35 minutes or until done.
- 170g cream cheese
- 40g butter
- 70g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
Cream together until light and creamy.
- 130g chocolate 70% cocoa butter
- 130g cream
- 30g butter
Heat cream to simmering and add to chocolate, wait for a few minutes then stir to a smooth mixture. Add in the soft butter and continue stirring to combine well.
For the salted caramel butter cream recipe, you can find it at the salted caramel macarons recipes. I never make this, because I still have some left over from the macarons making.
Slice each cake into 3 equal layers, so you will have 6 layers.
- Assemble it with different cream filling for each layer.
- Cover the outside with a thin layer of chocolate ganache and keep it in the fridge for a few hours first before pouring a layer of warm chocolate ganache over it.